- Peer mentors receive a $1,200 stipend.
- Living accommodations are provided for the summer (a $1,600 value)
- Exclusive opportunity to show new Hokies what Virginia Tech is all about!
- Demonstrated leadership ability and desire to assist new students.
- Full-time undergraduate Virginia Tech students with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher at the time of application.*
* If selected, GPA, conduct and honor sanctions will be reviewed at the end of the fall and spring semesters.
- Participate in all training programs. Be available for two spring semester training meetings.
- Participate in additional in-service training programs during the first week in July and other educational opportunities as designated by the supervisor(s).
- Commitment to Virginia Tech’s spirit of Ut Prosim (That I May Serve).
- Agreement to fulfill all responsibilities and expectations of job performance as specified in the Student Staff contract, position description, and Residence Hall Staff Manual.
- Development and maintenance of a learning environment in the residence hall as well as the enforcement of University Policies for Student Life and other policies and regulations documented in the Hokie Handbook.
- Possess cultural competency and an appreciation for persons from various backgrounds.
- Participation in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of curricular strategies and activities as required by the supervisor(s).
- Supportive of Summer Start programming efforts.
- Willingness to positively impact students’ first year learning experiences.
STANDARDS OF CONDUCT
- Embrace and adhere to Virginia Tech’s Principles of Community.
- Agreement to be a proper role model for resident students and agreement to be accountable to a higher standard of conduct than other students.
- Recognition as a student with no active conduct or honor sanctions.*
- February 19 | Peer Mentor application due 11:00 pm (EST). Late applications will not be accepted.
- February 22 - 26 | Interviews
- March 1 | Applicants notified of status
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION STATEMENT
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.